Sunday, January 15, 2012

dear old friends

Hey team, 

I trust everyone is well and sending their happy vibes out into the universe! ;)

This week will be a more personal post.

I spent some time in one of the greatest cities in the world, Hamilton, ON, and loved living there. One of the biggest reasons I loved it there so much was the people. I met and spent time with people that cared about community, love, growing, and supporting each other. Some of those people were whole families, some were work friends, and others were just individuals that had the biggest hearts. 

I learned recently that one of my dear friends from Hamilton is facing a challenging battle right now. His name is Eric, and he was just diagnosed with acute lymphocytic leukemia. Eric was one of the very first people I met when I arrived in Hamilton. It was a few days later when we found ourselves playing music together in a church band that I realized this guy was really fantastic. Afterwards, as happens, a group of us went out for a bite and I really enjoyed getting to know this man I would shortly thereafter think of as my brother. In time I was adopted by his family - his little sister is now my little sister, I've played music with one of his older brothers, I've had many wonderful conversations with his oldest brother, and I adore and respect his parents for who they are and how they've supported their children, their friends, and even me. 

When I heard the news, I was thrown. One of my first sentences was, 'Where did THAT come from?!' To learn that there isn't even a family history of it really frustrated me. I've supported people through their battles with cancer before, but for some reason, this time it finally hit me - cancer has no prejudice. None.  





That's Eric, in the light blue t-shirt. (And that's another friend Dan, love that guy!) We were having a Boccee Ball tournament and got to goofing around. These two weirdos thought it would be fun to see if they could do a flying horizontal kick at each other's chests. I managed to capture it with my camera. We were falling all over the place with laughter the whole afternoon at silliness, and this moment was no exception. 

That's my friend. 
He's a husband, a brother, a son, a friend, and a believer in all things good. 

I know you have a friend that has gotten terrible news. And if not a friend, a family member, a co-worker, or someone you grew up with... someone you care about. Someone who has a family that you think about and wonder how they're holding up. 

Will you please join me in sending some love to Eric and his family?
And let's send some love to all of your friends/family/co-workers/old friends who have received terrible news too. 

May they be blessed. 
Held. 
Cared for. 
Laughed with. 
Encouraged. 
Listened to. 
Fed. 
Given peace. 
Healed. 

May they be loved. 

hugs
sarah d.

1 comment: