Monday, July 11, 2011

gossip boys and girls

Hey there.

Time for some honesty. 

As I walk through life day in and out, I encounter innumerable moments and circumstances, people and conversations. And every so often - frankly more than I'd like, but less than when I was younger - I have an urge that disappoints me. I have a desire to tell someone else what I've seen, heard, experienced or witnessed. 

Well that's not so bad, is it? Not necessarily. 

But it is when the purpose of that telling is to mock or disrespect a person, or place, or moment. 

We're human, and people are interesting. So it's fair that every so often we'll find ourselves telling our friends about our other friends, or celebrities, or no one in particular. But when that tone of mocking arrives, the line has been crossed. 


I was on my way home the other day and talking with someone on my bluetooth. The conversation had frustrated me and after hanging up the phone, I noted that my first inclination was to call a friend who would empathize with my frustration and likely share their frustrations of that person with me.  

Thankfully, I didn't call anyone. 
I drove home in silence, disappointed with myself. 

And once I got home, I thought about all the things that I adore and appreciate about the person who had frustrated me, and the ill-feelings slinked away as if defeated. 

photo cred  trs125

Words are incredibly powerful, and can be used for good, or for evil. If I knew others were speaking of me the way I speak of them sometimes, I would feel terrible. I would feel insulted. Ostracized. Hurt. 

And you know what? I don't want to do that to someone else. Ever again. 

The thing is, some people live like this. 
People are consistently and constantly speaking hurtful and harmful things of others (and themselves). 
People are filling their days with negativity and then spreading that to others around them. 

These people need thoughts of love and adoration. Of joy and laughter. 
Would you spread those happy thoughts with me?

And would you think of me this week and help me to stay on a positive path!! :)

Talk soon,
sarah d. 


1 comment: